Multitasking is crazy
Improve your ability to tackle “deep work” that requires your full concentration with five simple steps:
1. Put your phone in airplane mode so you won’t be distracted by “pings.”
2. Set a timer for how long you want to work on your project. Start small–you may only be able to concentrate initially for 15 minutes.
3. Incrementally increase the amount of time each day that you spend doing “deep work.” Increase it by five minutes, for example.
4. Embrace the feeling of strain that you may feel when you hit an impasse. Learn to resist the urge to reach for your phone to check your email or social media to relieve that feeling. Instead, recognize it as an invitation to concentrate more deeply.
5. Enjoy the clear, calm state of mind and improved productivity you receive as you get comfortable with deep work.